Highlight of Experience
- represent a client in a family law proceeding at BC Supreme court from start to finish, appear for trial with co-counsel and obtain the judgement completely in the client’s favour
- represent a client to apply to court to be an administrator of the intestate estate of over $4,500,000.00 involving minor child beneficiary and assist client in settling the estate
- represent a client in a single residential real estate transaction of approximately $15,000,000.00 with mortgage
- advise a high-net-worth client and draft a will and trust instrument appointing RBC royal trust as trustee
- represent a client in a family law proceeding and negotiate a fair settlement which entitles the client to property interest and lump sum spousal support (with combined value of nearly $5,000,000.00) within 7 months from the start of the proceeding
- University of British Columbia, J.D., 2012
- Dalian University of Foreign Languages, M.A. 2003
- Sichuan International Studies University, B. A. (Hon.)2000
- British Columbia, 2013
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- Trial Lawyer Association of BC, Member
- Richmond Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Family law clinician with Access to Pro Bono
- Frequent on-air guest speaker on the Fairchild TV show “The Expert Talks”
- Frequent on-air guest speaker on 96.1 FM Fairchild Radio "Home Life Q&A”
- Guest speaker sought after by various agencies including RBC Dominion Securities, S.U.C.C.E.S.S. and several realty brokerage firms
- Keynote speaker for the Seminar “Real Estate Investment in Vancouver, Toronto and Seattle” held in Beijing, Nov. 2016
Annie is fluent in Mandarin and English and understands conversational German.
Annie Z. Chen
Annie Z. Chen is a founder and lead counsel of ATA Law Corporation. She was called to the bar of British Columbia in year 2013 after she achieved her Juris Doctor degree from the University of British Columbia. She has been in private practice in the Greater Vancouver area since then.
Annie’s practice focuses on personal matters, including family law, wills & estates and real estate transactions including advising non-CRA tax issues related to real estate transactions, which enables her to give comprehensive and precise advice on complicated matters requiring expertise in more than one area of law. While Annie is a passionate advocate both inside and outside the court room, she always tries her best to look beyond legal aspects to find a practical solution. Before taking the legal issues to the court room, she would spend hours reviewing and analyzing the possible outcomes of the case with her clients, which allows them to make an informed decision by themselves.
A master of cross-cultural communication, Annie prides herself on her interpersonal skills to relate to clients with diverse backgrounds. Her clients, ranging from ordinary people from all walks of life to celebrity on the Forbes list, come from all over the world, including mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, USA, Japan, India, Philippines, South Africa, Australia, Chile and so on.
Prior to law school, Annie has worked for an international immigration consulting firm and a public-listed pharmaceutical company in downtown Vancouver. She also holds a BA (hons) in English literature and MA in cross-cultural communication from China. Before coming to Canada, she was a lecturer with a prestigious university located at College Road of Beijing. She was also active as TV program writer, translator and tutor for NBA superstar based in Beijing.
The most challenging yet proudest thing Annie has even done in her life so far is to have her beautiful daughter conceived and born during her law school years while she accomplished law school on time.